- Encouraged and supported by their father, Raffaele, a peace worker for large roofing companies across the UK, by giving them small jobs for the companies he worked for, brothers Andrew and Vincent Mari start working as subcontractors in the Mastic Asphalt Roofing industry.
- The brothers decide to title the company Stamford Asphalte, named after the location of their small office in their parent’s house at 6 Linthorpe Road, Stamford Hill, London N16.
- Due to the demand of work Andrew and Vincent are joined by brothers Carmine, Raffaele to work on site and sister Assunta as a part-time then eventually full-time secretary.
- The company registers as Stamford Asphalte Co., on the 12 June 1956.
- Due to expansion of the company the brothers rent a yard in Hackney Railway Goods Yard in Mare Street, E9. At this time, they also opened a Built-Up Felt Roofing Division, Slating & Tiling Division and Tarmacadam Team and increased their payroll from five to fourteen.
- Andrew Mari becomes a Founder member of the Mastic Asphalt Council and Employers Federation (MAC).
- The company purchase a plot of ground on the Leeside Marshes at Northumberland Park and develop the site to accommodate a combined yard/depot and offices. The brothers, headed by Andrew, worked evenings and weekends to develop the Northumberland site into their offices as well as working during the week on contracts.
- The workforce expands to twenty-eight and welcomes another family member onto the team as bookkeeper, Kathleen Mari, Vincent’s wife.
- John Mari, Andrews son, commences an apprenticeship on the company on the 30th of May 1978.
- On the 25th of March 1979, the company moved from the family home at 6 Linthorpe Road, Stamford Hill, N16 to Leeside Industrial Estate, 61 Garman Road, Tottenham, N17 0UN.
- John represents Hackney and London College in the Senior Craft Competition of Mastic Asphalt at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham.
- In 1985, Stamford Asphalte Co. Ltd become members of the Flat Roofing Contractors Advisory Board.
- Local Scaffold company DAN Scaffolding is acquired in 1988.
- In 1992, James Batten is appointed Director.
- Stamford Asphalte Co. Ltd achieve registration of National Quality Assurance BS EN ISO 9002:1994
- Andrew Mari retires, and John Mari is appointed Managing Director as major stakeholder of the company.
- The company changes it name, under the same registration, from Stamford Asphalte Co. Limited to Stamford Contracts Limited in 1997.
- James Batten appointed Director of the Roofing Division.
- John purchases 59 Garman Road and expands the company into the premises as a natural development of the Building Division
- Stamfords restructure internally and change in management strategies, by introducing new construction software, including a change in traditional ways of filing and storing info.
Stamfords cares about the welfare of others, and supports Social Causes and Charities/philanthropy.
- Stamfords continues to grow and now is one of the UK’s leading construction companies, which focuses on complete refurbishment service for clients across the UK. Our vast experience has enabled us to successfully work with Government and Education Institutions from concept, to roofing, building and full construction service and management.
- Present – Stamfords is involved as a main contractor in projects grossing £7 million